The Newby Trust (the “Trust”) was formed in December 1937 by Mr. H.N. Smith (then resident in Newby, near Scarborough, in Yorkshire). The original purpose of the Trust was:
to promote all or any purposes which now are or hereafter may be deemed by law to be charitable and in particular the advancement of education, the furtherance of health and the relief of poverty, distress and sickness.
The Trust was incorporated as a company limited by guarantee on 1st January, 1938 and was registered as a charity in May 1964.
Since its foundation the Trust has worked broadly within the guidelines set out by its founder. In recent years the Trust has also chosen a special category each year as a focus for part of its grant-giving.